Dodds Olympics

 Dodds Olympics

            This last weekend we celebrated my dads belated birthday. My mom always tends to put together something fun for special occasions like this and this year we hosted the “Dodds Olympics”. My family invited some of our close friends and family over to participate in the event. For our homemade Olympic games everybody randomly drew 2 other teammates, making teams of 3 and each team had a corresponding color to wear. The team colors were red, blue, black, yellow and green. For the introduction to the Dodds Olympics, my dad’s friend ran down the road and up our driveway with a torch. It was a very funny way to kickstart the fun night.

My mom put together a list of events where we had to pick which person on our team would do it. Some of these events consisted of mini golf on our golf simulator, stacking dice with chop sticks, dropping an Oreo cookie from your forehead and into your mouth, two versus two ping pong and many more. The scoring worked in an odd way too. If you finished first place in a solo event, you were rewarded 5 points. If you placed second you lost a point, if you placed third you gained 1 point. 4th and 5th place received no points but were not deducted any points either. 

My family being very competitive, it got heated when we went to the ping pong event. My dad and I play all the time when I am home, so we are both pretty solid. We were matched up against each other and me and my partner ended up beating them. He was not very happy. That was probably my favorite memory from the Dodds Olympics. I was team black, and we finished in second place behind the green team. My dad’s team finished last, which I thought was funny.

All in all, the games were a lot of fun. My family does a lot of stuff like this, like an annual cornhole tournament held in July called “Cornholio”. My sisters make a ton of funny bracelets and order matching shirts for the teams. Although it gets competitive and heated sometimes, it is always a good time to hang out with my family and friends.




Comments

  1. This is such a fun idea! I lost it when I read about your dad's friend running with the torch, it's so funny! My family is also super competitive so I'm definitely going to have to pitch this idea to them over the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts